Friday, September 23, 2011

Happy Twenty Month Birthday, my little princess ...

yesterday I finally after knowing for months decided to work with Zoey on drinking from a straw! I have to say, once again - the girl amazes me!  it was as if she knew exactly what to do - as far as the sucking part (yes, this seems "typical" I would say.  my other kids instinctively knew that as well - after going from bottle, to sippy cup, to straw - but I was told that it would take a lot of work and she wouldn't get it right away) ... the keeping it in her mouth and swallowing was a little trickier, but she did swallow some of her formula!  now I need to not be lazy be sure that we do this at least one time a day ... and I think if I did it before each bottle, it wouldn't take long and she'd be bottle free!  I could be wrong, but if I get my butt in gear put in the effort I think in a month or two we could be saying bye-bye to the bottles!


per suggestion by the occupational therapist, I used a honey bear with a straw put in it (sans honey and washed well, of course) ... this way you can squeeze the liquid up, to help them get the idea!  the way you're supposed to do it is to wait until the child puckers around the straw, that way they start to understand what they have to do to get the liquid up ... I only squeezed the liquid up twice, because it was nearly immediately apparent that she knew what to do and how to do it!  my amazing little princess!

No comments: